Tuesday, July 20, 2010

July 20, 2010

Our first night together and Adoption Day!
First, I just need to say that we have ourselves a Daddy's girl.  She really only relies on me for food but other than that Mark is the go-to guy for everything else.  She lets me hold her for very short periods of time, but goes primarily to Mark.  It is a bit hard on the feelings that she prefers Mark, but I am just thankful she is attaching to one of us.  Our first night together went good. We had some tears when we we put her in the crib at 8pm and she held onto Mark finger for a good 35 minutes until she fell asleep., Every time he tried to move it she would cry so there he sat until she finally drifted off to sleep.  To say she is wrapped around his finger is an understatement.  She slept all night, not a peep from our girl until 6am He told me today that I will need to learn how to make surfboards because he's going to become a stay-at-home dad.

Today Mali officially became ours according to The People's Republic of China.  We went back to the Hangzhou Federal Building and filled out some more paper work and took our oath and officially become Mali's parents.  It was actually really nice the way they made it special.  We recieved a beautiful certificate and Mali was presented a stuffed Panda Bear.  We then started our four hour trip to Wenzhou, the city of Mali's orphanage.  We have some business to take care of at their Federal building, apply for her passport and then we will be done with paperwork.
Our little girl is having a tough time, and has been grieving pretty hard.  She has some good moments but then it hits her that she is in a new situation and just burst out into tears.  It is really hard to watch when you know there is really nothing you can do but show her that we love her.  She is the bravest little girl I have ever met.  We were eating dinner tonight at our hotel tonight and I thought to myself that how ironic it is that three days ago Mali was an orphan getting her basic needs met by a caregiver and tonight she is sitting in a posh hotel with a mom and a dad, eating french fries with a chandelier in the lobby bigger than her house in the USA, and just minutes before 4 housekeeping attendants fussed over setting up her crib with freshly ironed linens.  Oh, my girl is going to have a great life.....that I promise.

14 comments:

  1. Those pictures are priceless. She and her Dad are going to have such a strong bond. It was the same, (still is) with my daughters and my husband, very close. Both my girls preferred Dad to me. Eventually she will come to rely on you as well, do not worry. The important thing is that she feels safe. How sweet that she is falling asleep holding on to his finger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet pictures - what a beautiful family! Can't wait to see and hear all about the Wenzhou trip. :) Blessings to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. happy happy joy joy! just got back from vaca and saw the pics and great news - so glad it went well and she's getting to know you both. she's beautiful! (max became my son on july 19 - it's a great day to have a baby!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cool. Perhaps she will learn how to make surfboards so she can help her Daddy out! I'm so happy for you guys, you make a beautiful family and I cannot wait for the boys to meet her as I'm sure she will have them wrapped around her little finger along with Daddy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is beautiful! I love the picture of her sleeping in marks arms. What a sweetie. My thoughts have been with you guys constantly. Savor every moment, they are precious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Guys me again,
    I love that she takes the stacking toy everywhere. Remember the boys w/ their toy story figures..
    Sooo stinkin cute..
    xoxoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely pics.
    And yes can't wait to see with her bothers, it will be special too.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea of her workign along side her daddy. And she is most definitely going to be the queen of your house and have those boys eating out of her hand. Watch out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I cannot stop staring at these pictures. I need therapy.. I Take pics of the pics w/ my phone and send them to everyone...
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. mazel tov. she is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. lisa she is SUCH A GEM. i am sorry it's been hard for her, grieving, but this is such a good sign that she learned how to attach and i am betting you will turn a corner within a week or so and see her first smiles.

    funny, E had to sleep holding my finger for the first month or so!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You guys are so freaking precious. I can't wait til you are home.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi,
    Auntie Cet again.. We are counting down the days, 9 to go.. I think about you guys all the time, need more pics :)
    Love You.. Tons..
    cjc

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have yourself a beautiful little girl! Just so very sweet and prefect. This is my first time on your blog as I found you on China Adoption Site. Congrats!! to you and your husband.
    Sherri

    ReplyDelete